Saturday 10 January 2009

Knitting Update

Saturday nights out are not my thing anymore I've decided. And what better way to spend the night than... knitting. I tell you, it's the new yoga. Since the last post my needles have been on fire. Here's my progress:It's about 25 cm but I am so proud of it:) Ooops. You expected it to be blue. Well change of plan! Did not have enough blue yarn to make a scarf (or anything really) (also it turned out a bit wider than planned so my sizing method is not very reliable).Top part, side A: knit-knit-knit...
Top part, side B: purl-purl-purl...
*To get this effect I did one row knit, then next row purl.
Bottom part is knit-purl-knit etc and then next row purl-knit-purl and so on, so that it looks thicker and different to the rest. I did about 25 rows like that (thin line between yoga and self punishment here...)

And still knitting away.
These days I've been checking all kinds of websites on the sport. I discovered that according to an older BBC report, style icons like Sarah Jessica Parker, Julia Roberts, Uma Thurman and Madonna have been revealed as knitters.
I also read somewhere that Kate Moss took on knitting to draw her attention away from bad habbits but hid well all her knitting equipment in a Chanel bag and kept it a secret as she thought knitting is "seriously uncool". Ha. Try telling that to Madonna dear Kate.
And then I came across these bangles made out of vintage knitting needles:
I think they are SO cool. I want one now.
They are made by Aussie designer Liana Kabel and are sold at her online shop for 35$.
I want the red one. Oh and that measuring tape brooch is wicked no?


Last but not least, since the last post I've realised I've got some knitting blog buddies.
Special thanks to all of them for sharing their love for knitting with me:
Taylor
Laroux
Couture Carrie
Juliet
and Jen

8 comments:

Jen (MahaloFashion) said...

I've linked you back xx

Couture Carrie said...

Awwwww thanks for the link! Love your progess; these pics are stunning!

xoxox,
CC

Laceey said...

Knitting is so relaxing, I use to do it all the time when I was little but I have since forgotten how. I keep trying to make the plan to have my grandma reteach me when I see her, but I always forget, haha. -Thank for the comment. :)

Lopi said...

Haha, I can't remember the last time I went out on a Saturday night either!
Knitting is seriously cool. I had also taken on knitting when I was about 12, but I only knit one reaaaaally long blue scarf and then I stopped. I'd really like to start again, but it seems wrong to start a new hobby/technique when I haven't yet mastered the previous, which is using my sewing machine.
One day...

Shes Dressing Up said...

Oh now I really wish I was better as knitting!

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

Those bangles are so clever. I have a number of friends they would make perfect gifts for.

Marietta said...

This reminds me, I started knitting once and never tried again!I found it confusing, or it was my teacher's fault(Sorry Granma...) I admire though those who can!

Love your blog too!xxx

Thalia said...

i just read your post and i am seriously thrilled!
i love knitting and last winter it had been my favorite thing!! i did an exhibition with the jewellery that i made from that process at kinky kong! you can see some of the pics here http://thaliadesigns.blogspot.com/

anyways keep it up girl and congrats on the article on glamour magazine!