Thursday 19 March 2009

It's not fashion...

...it's tradition: "Martis" for "March" is what they call this thin red+white string. On this side of the world, it's meant to be protecting you from the very cheeky sun of March (not that I've ever been sunburned in Greece during this month before).
It may be later than mid-March right now, however I'm bringing it up as friends saw mine and lucky them (and messy me) I still had the strings in my handbag so we made a couple more for tradition's sake. They are kinda cute and cheerful no?
Want one too? Get white string + red string, cut single, double or triple pieces of equal length (depending on how thick you want it to look), seperate colours, make a knot on one side, now hold one colour still and twist the other round and round it. Tie loose ends together on your wrist. And you're safe, March sun will be good to you:)

5 comments:

mademoiselle myrtilo. said...

so sweet!my grandma always makes one for me!

Marietta said...

Snif, sweet memories, I dont wear one anymore, not sure why..

Lopi said...

I made one for me and one for my boyfriend last year, but I totally forgot about it this year. And maybe it's too late now, since it's already March 19th. Too bad!
Next year I hope I remember!

Niviarsiaq said...

Wow, that's a really cool tradition! I used to make colorful braided bracelets but nothing like this.

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

Those are so charming and they look nice and dainty too! My sister gets wild about special times like this--she gave me an earful for not wearing green on St. Patty's Day. :)