Friday 9 October 2009

Berlin Vintage

This is the dress I chose to wear at Katerina Alexandraki's boutique opening the other night (and was very well spotted by little spy Thalia in the previous post). It was no random choice. Katerina loves Berlin and this dress was bought at a Berlin vintage store during my trip to visit her there last summer. There was a sign at the door indicating a -20% off happy hour and what a happy girl I was, strolling up and down rails full of gems!

I ended up buying this '70s dress among other things, but no matter how much I treasured the colour and fit, I could see a downside to it: pointy, asymmetrical ends. I could cut them out I suppose, but didn't want to tamper with an original vintage piece. So I got creative with bows. Sharing 'cause I think this is quite a simple and effective diy trick to bring back to life clothes with similar finishes lying in ur closet, awaiting for a revival.

Tie ends together on each side. Pointy ends: gone! The shape changes immediately, looks quite interesting and is ready to go.

I took it one step further and slid my feet through the newly created holes. Was only experimenting, but the harem pants effect this gave to my dress turned out better than expected so I kept it. Mission accomplished.

*shoes: Bally vintage, bought in some London charity shop ages ago.

Hope you found this inspiring.
I am off to Paris again today but laptop and full gear is coming with me so I'll be in touch. Have a lovely weekend.


*Quick Reminder:
This designer vanity case giveaway is still at large;)

13 comments:

Penny said...

Amazing dress!and i like what you did!!makes it also wind resistant!hehe!

Mairyliscious said...

mou aresei h pinelia sou pou ekanes me tis akres ! super dress!!!

battered couture said...

you look hot dear. have a great time in Paris!

natalie said...

Creative AND fun! Thumbs up!

Gabbi said...

Great dress! I love the fabric and the little tie features at the bottom... :)

eleni said...

call me crazy, but i love when people buy vintage and transform the pieces into something more unique! if i were you i would have totally cut & hemmed them a bit! but i really do love how you tied the ends up! have fun in paris, lucky lady!! :)

Unknown said...

Love those shoes, have fun in Paris! I'm so jealous.

Lopi said...

Ok, I'm gonna dig out all my hideous pointy-hemmed skirts and dresses that I thought I'd never wear again and try this. Now.
YOU ARE GENIUS!

Vicki said...

Love what you've done with this dress!! off to Paris again!! you jet-setter!! love the post on Alexandraki collection!!
magpie-girl.blogspot.com xx

Thalia said...

hahaha!!! you looked gorgeous in that dress!! how could i not spot you!!!!
i love the shoes as well and the new ways of wearing the dress!!!!!

Sugahspank! said...

I LOVE the shoes! have a great one A PARIS!!!!!!

Girl Next Blog said...

SO CUTE

xx

Sophie said...

This dress is gorgeous, I love the colour of it and what you did to it. It looks so well. Hope you have a lovely time in Paris!xo
teacups-and-saucers.blogspot.com