Friday 2 October 2009

DRKSHDW EASTPAK FW09

It's all elections over here at the moment. B.o.r.i.n.g, I know. However Rick Owens' latest project has got me all excited! The spirit of his Dark Shadow or DRKSHDW line has been translated into perfect, almost seamless bags in collaboration with Eastpak. What follows comes straight from the official release, thus the capital SHOUT OUT letters. Kept it original, totally adds to the images. Check it out.


FOR FW09 EASTPAK UNVEILS ITS MOST INNOVATIVE COLLABORATION TO DATE WITH THE PARIS BASED CALIFORNIAN NATIVE RICK OWENS. THE KING OF MODERN, MINIMALIST GOTH THAT IS CHIC UNDERSTATED AND DEEPLY LUXURIOUS COLLABORATES WITH EASTPAK VIA HIS DENIM LABEL DRKSHDW. THE COLLABORATIVE PROJECT IS CO-BRANDED ‘’DRKSHDW EASTPAK’’ AND WILL BE AVAILABLE IN SELECTED STORES ACROSS THE GLOBE FROM SEPTEMBER 2009. IT IS ALSO THE FIRST OFFICIAL CO-BRAND THAT RICK OWENS HAS UNDERTAKEN FOR ANY OF HIS LINES.

RICK OWENS – INSPIRATION FOR DRKSHDW EASTPAK FW09

''ONE OF THE REASONS I ALWAYS LIVED AROUND HOLLYWOOD BOULEVARD WHEN I LIVED IN L.A. WAS THE ENERGY AND ALLURE OF THE PACKS OF WILD KIDS THAT LIVED ON THOSE STREETS THEN. THEY WERE SUCH A WORLD AWAY FROM THE SAFE CONSERVATIVE TOWN I’D COME FROM. THEY WERE RECKLESS, DYONISIAN, CUNNING, EXOTIC.

THE COLOUR THAT I CALL DRK SHDW COMES FROM THE LAYERS OF FADED ARMY SURPLUS CLOTHES AND BACKPACKS THEY DYED BLACK AND WORE. EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE I’D FEED ONE UNTIL IT LET ME PET IT, BUT IT USUALLY JUST ENDED UP BEING MORE TROUBLE THAN IT WAS WORTH.

IT BECAME SATISFYING JUST WATCHING THEM PLAY AND WASH IN THE FOUNTAIN ON HIGHLAND AVE AND SUNSET BLVD WHEN I WOULD BE DRIVING HOME AT DAWN. THE MEMORY OF THOSE KIDS AND HOW I FELT ABOUT THEM IS WHAT I WAS THINKING ABOUT WHEN I DID THESE BAGS WITH EASTPAK...''

3 comments:

Kelly-Ann Maddox said...

'Dyonisian'. Now there's an amazing adjective that doesn't get used enough.. I'm going to pop that in a sentence this weekend.

Great edgy photograph..

Lopi said...

I love Rick Owens and his fashion vision, I love fierce men werking them heels and I also love the fact you kept the press release on it's original form, but seriously what's with the CAPS? It's plain obnoxious! Was it really on purpose?

Alecca Rox said...

@lopi yes it was!

"FONTS – All text in press releases for this project must be in ARIAL CAPS or ARIAL BLACK CAPS"