Thursday 24 September 2009

The September Issue



It's only been a few hours since I watched "The September Issue" at the "first screenings festival" of Athens. My honest opinion? By watching this trailer you've more or less watched it all. However, do go and see it just to shape your own opinion. Only part not obvious in trailer, is how influential she is, in the sense that she can and obviously does give an extra push to particularly talented designers like Thakoon.

"Why is the September issue such a big deal?" was whispered to me during the documentary. The answer came from the screen: because September is January to fashion.

Another point that should not slip through the seams is Anna Wintour's relationship with Grace Coddington, the creative director of U.S. Vogue. At first look, Wintour seems to be the hard-to-please editor that sets boundaries to creativity. However, truth is that creativity needs those boundaries which make the difference between tattling and perfection. And it takes a great deal of experience to do that successfully in seconds.

Somehow I feel the real documentary is not what I watched last night. I remember saying this before, the real documentary is "The Devil Wears Prada"...

Touching moment, the part where Wintour's daughter states on camera she wants to become a lawyer instead of going into fashion and Wintour adds something like "it's still too early, we'll see". At the end of the day it doesn't matter who your mother is, she will always want you to follow the only profession she understands, her own!

The closest I have been to Anna Wintour is this:

(image borrowed from this post, belongs to me, all rights reserved, blabla)
The picture was shot at LFW, at Aquascutum's show AW '06. I was sitting at least 50 metres away from notorious Anna but still, chills were going up and down my spine. Next to me was a dear friend, fashion features editor back then for Vogue Brazil. "What did you think of the show?" she had asked me in the end. "I liked the revamp" was my answer. "And what do you think Anna thought of the show?" was her next question. If that wasn't a tough one!

*it was nice to see Lifeinathens and Streetgeist at the cinema...

7 comments:

Thalia said...

it was lovely seeing u as well!!!
i m happy you mentioned Grace Coddington cause i really like her work! However as i ve said before ( i know repeating myself) i still do prefer the British Vogue.

Hari K said...

thalia told me that you were there too!!!too bad i didn't see you! i'm preparing a post about the movie too!!

Alecca Rox said...

@Thalia British Vogue is more avant-garde in a way whereas U.S. is more conservative, but then again that has to do with the audience too. Personally, I prefer British Vogue too. Then again, I also prefer LFW.

@Hari K were you there too? Sorry I missed you! Awaiting your post!

WendyB said...

Sounds like something I could skip, honestly. I'll be the one who just watches the trailer.

streetgeist said...

nice seeing as well!:D
and i totally agree with u about the doc...
cheers!
alkisti

battered couture said...

not much to see there.. I thought it would be more insightfull in many ways but hey, I'm not into vogue to begin with. Coddincton shone for me she is a true artist. And was the only one who provided some entertaining moments. Anna Wintour's best moment was when she couldn't remember where her daughter worked.

Frances Davison said...

I still really want to see it, I'm sure some of the Wintour scenes will be far scarier than most horror movies x